Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Photographic Essays for Big Kids



There has been something funny showing up on our camera. Photos I don't remember taking, weird ones, of people's faces up close and random toys. It became clear- Young Yeller is enjoying using our camera to document the world as she sees it. And why not? Actually, she's not half bad. So, I've decided to cave and get her a camera, probably for Christmas. I like film, myself, but I'm definitely going to digital here- much less wasted film and easier to trash the bad pictures.

So for those of you interested in perhaps letting your bigger kid document the world around them (and avoiding a Barbie photo shoot), I have a few ideas:

- Give a specific assignment. 'Take pictures during our nature walk'; 'take a photo of each family member doing something they love'; 'Photograph each of the pets'. Official Vacation Photographer has a nice ring to it!

- Give your child 'the talk'. I've instructed YY that she is not allowed to snap photos of anyone naked, without their permission (especially if they're screaming at you in toddler-ese), etc. For some families, the 'naked' rule might be a bit much. I admit, after that story earlier in the year about that family who had photos of their kids out of the tub and Walmart turned them into CPS, I'm a lot more cautious about this. All the more reason to go digital- you can have a gander at the photos before they go off to the fotomat. The guidelines might be different for each family, but I advise you to think about it, and make it clear to your child, BEFORE you are looking at pictures of yourself shaving your legs.

-If you have a creative child on your hands: one who likes to build things, take things apart, etc., have them take pictures of their messes, er, creations.

 


Post-photo Activities:
 

-Make a scrapbook. For those of you with developing writers, having them write captions would be fun and good practice. They could write it (using the ideas above) about their family, the household pets, or the flora and fauna in your neighborhood.

-They could also use any random photos to build a story. Get one of those dollar photo albums from Dollar Tree or the dollar section at Target, and have them write a 'book' about a fantastical land of Lego skyscrapers. They can then use their own photos as illustrations for the book.

I know my Young Yeller is going to be thrilled with me giving her assigned excuses to use the camera. What a great way to round out the summer!

Happy snapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment