Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Mailroom!


While YY was away for what was supposed to be four days, visiting her grandparents (she came home a bit early...well, three days early, to be exact), I made this for the littles. All are in love with this activity, and it's open ended enough that Miss Big Seven Year Old can enjoy it, too....although it only takes her about 20 seconds.

Materials Needed:
-Bins for sorting mail (I bought these in the dollar section at Target awhile back)
-envelopes for 'mail' (I used a combo of junk mail envelopes and new)
-colored paper for cutting out shapes

I chose to do the basics: circles, squares, triangles. Cut a bunch out, in different colors and different sizes. Instead of gluing, I packing-taped them to the envelopes, so I wouldn't have to wait for them to dry and so there wouldn't be any loose ends for Curly Lurly or Munko to pick off. I also taped a shape to the front of each of the bins. And, time to sort some mail!!! What is it about mail? Kids LOVE it.

Obviously, this is an activity best suited to the 3 y/o; she's practicing identifying, matching, sorting shapes and all that. But the 2 y/o CM enjoys just sorting randomly, and I think with a bit of help, she'll be able to start sorting them correctly. The baby enjoys putting in, taking out- classic 1 y/o style.

Some other ideas:
-I think I might make another one of these for YY, but use math facts, which she needs to practice, still. Answers on the bins, problems on the mail. She figures out the answers and puts them in the correct bin.
-You could let you kids go crazy with stickers, etc. to decorate the mail, er, put 'stamps' on it.

-You could also let your kids 'postmark' the mail as they sort it with a stamp pad and some stamps. I guess it depends on how long and for how many kids you want to use this activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment