Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Catching Up...

My intention was to post at least one activity each day. I've run into an illness or two, a 4th birthday, and other life obstacles. So today, I catch up.

Color Matching/Coloring Activity (ages 2-4)

This one, I made for Chunko Munko. I keep them (I made three of them at once) in ziploc bags with the appropriate markers.  CM just turned two and is getting pretty good with naming colors, but still needs to work on visual matching, and of course, coloring. This activity takes care of both. I'm big into recycling materials, so nothing fancy here: the pages were torn from a dollar store newsprint-type drawing pad. The purpose is for her to choose the correct color to match the shape, and then color it. I also labeled each triangle with the appropriate color word...environmental print and all that.

Letter Matching (kids learning letters)

This one I made using a pad of Sesame Street stickers I got from either the Target dollar section, or Dollar Tree (usually I'm great at remember these things, but eh). Luckily, there were two of each sheet of stickers, so one I used for the matching mat, and one I used to laminate, cut up, and thus make the pieces for the activity.

To make the pieces any kind of durable, it's essential to laminate them. But if you were using this as a one-time activity (hard to believe unless your child already knows their letters) or were only using it for one child, you could just have them put the stickers directly on top of the mat. Both the mat and the pieces are laminated.

A quick word on storage....

I store all of these types of activities in ziploc bags. I use the ones with the little zipper thing on the top, as they seem to be easier for little kids to manage. I file them by topic or theme if applicable. I usually label the fronts with some sort of label, attached and sealed with packing tape. 
 

....and next topic, an activity for the 'big kid'....

No comments:

Post a Comment