Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

takeout, faked

Who among us doesn't love takeout? The ease of eating in your pajamas if you're so inclined, the deliciousness of your favorite food...but my main reason for loving takeout, at the moment, is that I don't have to make it. I do love to cook, but having four small kids and a husband to cook for, day after day after day after day after day is truly like running your own (very small) restaurant. I make all 95% of my food from scratch: no Hamburger Helper, no mac and cheese (well, once a week or less for lunch for the kids; that's where the 95% comes in), you get the idea. We're not big on processed foods around here. I like to say, "I make all my own junk food, so at least I know what's in it". And most meals have to be doable in 30, 45 minutes max, because the time between "mom, I'm hungry" and complete snot-running-down-your-shirt meltdown is about 7 minutes. 

But back to the issue at hand. We are big fans of Whole Foods takeout. I'm not claiming that much of their takeout is even that great; their cheese enchiladas are fairly bland and their salad dressings are barely edible. But the variety is there to please all the interested parties, and most of it is pretty good. The one dish that everyone likes is the Asian Noodle Salad. Simple flavors, all four of my kids like it, and that is what you call a small miracle, madam. The one problem is that it is very expensive (Whole Foods, duh), especially considering it's 'just noodles'. So I read the list of ingredients and made my own, much cheaper and less oily, version. We like to eat it with veggie/tofu stir fry or any other Asian thing I happen to be cooking up. I'm kind of a 'little of this, a pinch of that' kind of cook, so feel free to add more or less of everything to your taste. I certainly do.

Asian Noodle Salad
-1 pkg spaghetti (we use soba or other more 'Asian' types of noodles on occasion, but spaghetti is what everyone likes best)
-sesame oil to taste (I probably use a tablespoon, maybe 2. My rule of thumb: dump it in 'til it looks good)
-soy sauce to taste
-1-2 cups of carrots, shredded or cut very finely
-fresh grated ginger (I use maybe a teaspoon, but my kids are wimps in the spice department. A little goes a long way)
-1/4 cup sesame seeds

Occasionally I add cilantro, chopped finely, and anything else I have on hand that sounds good. I do believe the WF version has chopped green onions, but I'm the only one who cares for those around here, so I leave them out. I have also used Hoisin sauce in this, too...delish. I just watered it down a bit and whisked it before adding it to the noodles.

Directions:
Cook the noodles. Drain and rinse. You'll need a big bowl. Add the other stuff. Mix.
Once the water boils, the take-it-to-the-table time is about 10 minutes. Happiness!

...and once again, my friend Eilyne over at Suite 100 is doing a Food Friday entry...all about cake pops! You can find it  here:   http://www.eilynedavis.com/2011/03/food-friday-two-can-play-at-that-game.html

 


 




1 comment:

  1. I make a lot of stir fry. This sounds like a great dish. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing! ~~Rhonda :)

    ReplyDelete