Search This Blog

Friday, July 30, 2010

Off To The Races!


I cheated a bit, here. Today's activity was totally impromptu and required absolutely no materials. I have another one, though, and I'll write about that one later. As I mentioned before, my goal is to PLAN an activity every day, so I guess this one doesn't really count.

Young Yeller likes to race. They all do, but YY really takes it to heart. She sees it as a chance to use her superior speed and agility (which really becomes obvious when most of the other participants are naked) to get one over on her competitors. I took part in this one, too. Then I was the official referee. One might say I was kicked out for cheating.

Racing:

You need an 'on your mark/get set/go' person. Then, of course, you need the racers. You also need an agreed upon course. Today's course was around the perimeter of our front yard, but it's fun to take it to a local playground, up the street to the corner and back, etc. Some types of races:
-running
-skipping
-jumping
-crawling
-toe-to-heel
-relay with a rock/toy/ball
-crab walking
-scooter/bike/etc. (this one's tough if you have little kids participating, though)

One of the wonderful things about this type of activity is that the littles can get involved. In our case, that 'little' was a naked Chunko Munko, who had just stripped her clothes off to play in the hose. They don't care much that they actually lose every race; it's the act of THE RACE that they love.

No comments:

Post a Comment